199.8

I'm starting week five and am down 9.8 pounds. That took me into Onederland for the first time in 22 years. 

If Spark People were still viable, I'd be receiving all kinds of virtual gifts for my feat and celebratory messages. I could post a banner proclaiming the news. My DH said "Woo-hoo!"

I don't feel "woo-hoo", I almost feel let-down. Yeah, that's it. My brain is asking why couldn't I eat like I have been eating for the past four weeks without needing drug support. I certainly didn't believe I'd fall into the guilt trip trap, yet here I am. I also know this is temporary, perhaps very temporary and by this afternoon a smile will be on my face when I become smug and pleased with myself. I understand it's more than eating right. 

In 2002 I had the last vestige of lady hormones surgically removed. I started taking beta-blockers and thyroid meds. The trifecta of slower metabolism. I combined that with a job requiring several hours commute, desk work and less exercise. Life got in the way.

It's going to take more than one scale number to feel I've accomplished something. For now, the effects of the drug control what I'm eating as the first day or two I feel blah. I haven't yet learned to prep foods for a few days that might be appealing. What I made yesterday, a quinoa cold salad to have with any meat protein is unappealing today. By day four my desire to eat is back but foods don't have a siren call. That's the missing piece in my diet(s) quest. That's where the drug works on the "reward" that I couldn't satisfy. 

In writing this I'm starting to feel a bit better about my medically supported weight loss.

Woo-hoo!

Comments

  1. ALICIA363
    “...it’s more than eating right.” Truer words were never spoken.
    Woo hoo to you!
    Once upon a time, when I confided in a friend how unnerved I was with my weight loss and being smaller, she said, “Enjoy it while it lasts.” Not the response I expected, but it gives me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that! Today I feel a bit better overall, as the first two days give me an icky feeling. I toss and turn over is it all worth it. Jury is still out.

      Delete
  2. Congratulation on entering Onederland! Good job. I HOPE you had a smile on your face in the afternoon, because that’s a great achievement. The drug is merely a TOOL. YOU have to do the work.

    Oh my goodness, I cannot tell you how just thyroid meds alone are a disaster for weight. Living the thyroid life here, and it takes WORK.

    Glad you’re feeling a little better about your medically supported weight loss

    Continued success moving forward.

    hugs
    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to all of this! Congratulations on the entry to Onederland! It may not be a lot of us these days, but we are still happy for you. Loudly.

    I think it may be our decade, my friend. I have noticed my attitude about a lot of things changing.

    Chin up and carry on. Life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is a new day. I was awesome in the gym and doing yardwork in the sunshine today!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog