Hasn't this been a banger of a week? Happy Independence Day.

I am independent of 16.3 pounds.

 The pill I am now taking has less of an impact on my entire system and I am more comfortable than I was with even the lowest dose shot. I don't need a rocket ship, a canoe works fine. After all, it took me 20 years to reach my highest weight. I shouldn't take a couple of months to remove it; a slow and steady drop is healthy.

There is definitely something in one of the mechanics that increases insulin or glucose removal from your system. I equate this to my needing thyroid medication. I readily accepted that I needed meds. Why would a defect of some sort in these dietary hormones be considered any different? I'm doing the defensive work in creating a better dietary outlook for myself, the hormone replacement is fixing what I've lost. A forever-medication doesn't seem so unbelievable if I use it like my other replacement meds.

I am still measuring as I have for years, including all the recipes I make, and find that I've got those skills honed to near-perfection. Ask me to put 100g of Greek yogurt in a bowl, topped with 98g of strawberries and 4g of turbinado sugar, without a scale and you'll get an almost perfect bowlful. Ditto with a recipe that will make 5 servings of something. I can divide it for freezing within 10g of each other in containers.

The other thing I've learned well is just because the bag/package or can tells you here is what one serving is, it's doesn't mean you are supposed to have one serving!  You'd think a well-educated nerd would have gotten that. Nah, I was overwhelmed with following serving guides.  

I had angst for a while over the "Why me?". But I look at the pictures of ancestors, and I have them back to the Civil War, almost all of the women were very well-fleshed in menopausal ages. Even with "whole food " in the 1880's and none of the ultra-processed stuff developed in the 1950's my great-great grandaunts and g-g-mothers were chunky, even downright fat like me!

I am content.

Well, not entirely. I've spent since Thursday in the hospital with DH in ICU. He had a scheduled follow-up CT scan on his brain as he's been slightly unbalanced and dizzy. Turns out the brain bleed started bleeding again and happenstance caught it just before he'd need brain surgery. His baby aspirin for his cardiac issues appears to be the culprit! Rock and a hard place. We'll sort it out. He should be home today if the scan shows improvement. In the meantime, he's charmed all the nurses and decided he's reached the age that he no longer needs to tie the back of his hospital gown when he walks around the room.

It's raining, it's pouring, my old man is flashing. 


Comments

  1. LOL... I think it's a side effect of aging, this lack of bashfulness. Eventually we accept that we are what we are, and good heavens, in a medical facility, these folks have seen it all!

    Well wishes for both of you, him to get better, you to have less to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you know it! There are so many funny things that happened this admission, I could write a book. It helped that he was fairly asymptomatic and we caught this in time by accident. He's home like nothing happened, and nothing really did. It's the outlook for that future that's a bit daunting. Not allowed to drive is a kicker. The rest is the same as he has been...be a couch potato!

      Delete
  2. Dear OJ. . . glad that the oral medication is working for you. I see my A1C and glucose rising w/the job of being DH’s carer. So, I am pretty sure I’ll end up on some form of GLP-1. You are right, it’s not different than needing a thyroid med to stabilize that. We do what we can.

    I am sending prayers your way that DH can come home. I am so glad the bleed was caught before it required surgery.

    Sitting on pins and needles here as DH has a cardiac cath and pace/defibrillator on Thursday. I know he’ll be find, but it’s still a stressor. DH’s . . . they just figure out all sorts of ways to keep us on edge! Seems like DH has an intact sense of humor! LOL

    Hugs and prayers.

    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb and good luck you you and your DH. Waiting is much harder than the outcome. I've been putting off a bit of cardiac work for myself, elective and covered by meds, due to all the stuff I have to handle. One day it will be my turn.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, you have a had a banger of a week.
    (Hug)
    Here’s to sorting out DH’s issues, getting him home, and caring for yourself. Sending vibes of strength and peace your way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog