I took the plunge. Actually, I took the plunger, the weight loss one.
I've had internal and external deliberation since last fall when my hip surgery was looming in the horizon. My nice hip doc patted me on the knee. Usually he's on the low stool and I'm on the high table so knees are more available than shoulders, which he also will pat. "If you lost weight it would make your recovery so much better"
Yeah, yeah, yeah, tell me something I haven't known for years. Sigh. But, I took the challenge.
I did well cutting out the crap again, falling back on all those Spark People skills. It wasn't too difficult and by December 22ndish, I saw 201 on the scale. Again. The same number I saw in February 2016. while I was caring for Mr. I'm-Trying-to-Die.
Two lousy pounds and I finally would be below 200 for the first time in over 22 years.
Nothing happened. Instead, the number crept up a bit and my surgical weight was 204.
I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.
Bring on post-op recovery. Bring on meal planning going out the window. Bring on Mr. I'm-Trying-to-Die in a new form.
I can't juggle the knives anymore.
DD1 and I had a 6 hour mother-daughter chat on the drive to access the man with the newly minted TBI. Why didn't I want help in the weight loss. It's not giving up or giving in. It's a tool. You're not weak, but life keeps throwing you knives and you can't keep throwing them back without getting hurt.
It helped that DD1 has been on a shot since January. Same build, ~50% same genes, certainly same viewpoint where food and stress come in. I taught her well. As of now she's lost 25 pounds.
I had declined the offer when I spoke to my lovely doc in the fall and swore I could do it myself. She welcomed me back last week, excited to help me. Me! Someone wanted to take something off my plate. Not me alone trying to avoid getting stabbed by all those knives.
What do I have to lose? LOL
As a pharmacist told me once, nothing is written in stone. If it doesn't work, ditch it. Wishing you much luck!
ReplyDeleteAnd YES, it is a tool.
hugs
barb
1cd
Aw, all I can envision is you in a spangle-y costume at the carnival with the knife thrower ;-) !!!
ReplyDeleteLOLOLOL
DeleteI'm playing catch up. Looks like nearly a month worth! Yikes! I can easily see myself in a similar "conversation with the doc" sometime in the future (although about a different issue). Seriously, why do we drag our feet? Well, I can think of several reasons. Now, I'll keep catching up on your blogs, and see how it turned out. (Trying to read in chronological order: perfectionist, much?)
ReplyDelete