How predictive was that article about Miyam Bialik's experience with GLP-1?
Spot on.
On the higher dose, I started to experience some intestinal distress. I was not prepared for how intense it would get, but ingested Imodium along with my electrolyte drinks.
I can tough this out. Day 4 it got worse. Since my appetite is extremely suppressed, it was getting hard to find anything to eat that would help.
Day 5, I took a ride in the big rig with flashing red and blue lights to the Emergency Room! I was so dehydrated, I could only walk about 15 feet which was my advantage point to the bathroom. I was not going to rely on my own two feet to get into DH's car, drive through 7AM rush hour traffic at a snails pace all the while "holding it in", and then sit in the ER waiting room.
Notable things that happened:
DH turned on his scanner as soon as he made the call for the ambulance. The dispatcher clearly announced "an elderly 72 year old with dehydration, can't walk".
Elderly? My sense of humor had remained intact throughout, but I was bristling the indignity of being called elderly.
When the squad arrived, they laughed, saying I was not what they were expecting. Ego soothed!
The female EMT had quite a chat with me on the way in. She has lost 100 pounds on GLP-1! She'd had some reactions, but not as severe as the one I was having. She encouraged my to get better and consider staying on the lowest dose as these meds really work. Duly noted.
As soon as I arrived, the nurse started my IV and within an hour I'd gotten a whole liter of fluid. They have a protocol for dehydration and I guess, "elderly" folks, so things moved quickly.
By the time I'd left at 1:30PM, I had taken a nap while on the stretcher conveniently located next to the bathroom, felt better, was chock full of all kinds of drugs to compensate for the active intestines. The only thing whacky in my blood work was my very high white cell count which the Nurse Practitioner said was probably from the trauma going on in my insides.
So here I am on Day 6, still fighting the fight going on in my belly, a bit more armed with drugs to help, and doing some serious thinking about my next steps.
I had peeked at the scale on day 4 and it read 196.4. That's 13 pounds down. A 6% loss.
I am likening this to poisoning and am not interested in taking any higher doses. I'll chat with my PC and would be willing to go to the lowest dose which did keep my appetite and interest suppressed.
Yes, I read Miyam Bialik’s article. MANY have repeated her experience. Good heavens! I am sorry you have to take the red tow truck w/flashing lights to the hospital!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I was labeled elderly when I took MY ride to the hospital with m fractured hip. NOT nice.
I agree w/your assessment of backing down to the lowers dose, see how that goes and go from there. Sounds like the higher dose is just too much.
hugs and glad you feel a little better.
barb
1cd
Thanks!
DeleteALICIA363
ReplyDeleteYikes! Glad you are better. Sounds like the lower dose may be enough for you. (hug)
Thanks!
ReplyDeleteYeah. No sense getting it to the poisonous stage! Glad you got quick treatment. Might even make the label "worth it" if it gets faster service? I'm older than you, but we're "young elderly"... didja catch that they have split "old" into "young old", "middle aged old", and "old, old"? I believe we're about to enter the "middle aged old" phase in a couple of years... my older sis may have reached it.
ReplyDeleteBut how can we be elderly? Seriously? My doctor had the discussion with me when I was 65 about how wide a range he finds in terms of people and their health and fitness at the "Medicare age" range. We're doing just FINE, my friend!
May your next week be less exciting!
It's kinda hard to think of me being a middle aged old person. It's too many words. I enjoy the compliments when people ask my age. I hope they last!
ReplyDelete