My weight is steady; neither a loss or gain, still at 18 and holding. I feel in control of my eating and have changed some of the ideas about what is right for me. Dare I say I am seeing meals as function over reward? Perhaps, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I had a discussion with my traveling partner SIL who is doing the WW points thing, and we compared notes about our meals and ideas. She and I have been "plate watching" each other for years in an invisible competition. Last night in our NJ diner dinning, I watched her do what I would have done six months ago; take DH's fruit bowl, eat two thirds of the fish tacos to take the rest home, pick at the sides.

 I didn't. 

My grilled Rueben was not so grilled as it was laid on the griddle to cook to dryness, without butter. It was lacking the usual mega meat-covered-dripping-cheese fullness expected on TV shows about NJ diners The Russian dressing was in a side cup and sparingly used. In another life I would have been disappointed and taken this place off my list.

I won't.

The meat was good, I didn't need cheese to excess. What can go wrong with sauerkraut? I ate half and for the next two days I'll have filling for Rueben omelets. P.S. I ordered no fries and ate one of DH's waffle fries; no ketchup. Dinner is now my smallest meal.

SIL told me about making breakfast muffins with alternate ingredients that were so-so, and a "fake" cheese cake that she liked, but don't tell my BIL what was in it. I told my cheesecake-averse DH what was in it (Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, artificial sweeteners) he declared "even I know that's not cheesecake". If I want cheesecake, I'll find the best one I can. 

I don't.

She talked about new things she'd found to snack on that fall into her points. What to have for a late night snack and crunchy additions to her meals when she's watching her man eat junk. I'm seeing her ideas of dieting through a different lens. I'm eating what I like; whole foods, less refined food as an energy source. If I want a reward, I'll find one. Am I having more primal thinking? 

I am.


Comments

  1. To be sure, seeing food for what it is: nutrition and NOT a reward, is a win.

    YOU DID WHAT I DO, TOO. I usually get 2-3 meals from a restaurant meal. And just eat simply. good job.

    You’re thinking is good! I love that my nutrition is whole foods, little to no refined foods and definitely look on it as a source of energy. When I was diagnosed w/type 2 diabetes, that helped swing my thoughts about food to a healthier realm. It took time, but now, 15 yrs. later, it’s just part of life. I am grateful!

    Good luck as you continue your journey!

    hugs
    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALICIA363
    That’s maintenance, and it counts as a win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like healthy choosing to me! What's worth the effort and what is not, what's worth the indulgence and what is not... prioritizing for personal health AND pleasure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog