Beyond the call of duty.

Yesterday I went outside to try and remove the iced snow from our driveway. My honey had already scraped the SUVs and left for a medical appointment. For the first time in our lives, we had shrugged off clearing the snow from the driveway and sidewalk the day of the storm. Now faced with the aftermath, I trudged out to use the chopper/scraper on the asphalt as well as various shovels.

I'm glad I had cleaned myself up a bit before I went out, even had a bit of eye makeup on.

I heard, "Can I help you, ma'am?" and turned to see one of our policemen in my driveway, putting on his gloves. He was stationed in front of my house blocking the road while a new utility pole was being installed.

The nice gentleman, probably a few years older than my grandson, proceeded to take my scraper and lift all the ice from my driveway. Then he and I shoveled the mess off to the side. He wasn't much of a conversationalist, but what a worker. We managed to clear a good portion. I insisted we were done and he turned to return the scraper to it's perch on the wall.

I proceeded to slip on the ice and land on my butt.

I shot up so fast he may have thought I only went down to retrieve my dropped shovel! Showing no ill effects from my bounce, we shook hands and parted ways. I didn't have any grandmotherly things like cookies to offer and laughed at the thought. DH and I had done this so often for others, we know there is no reward greater than a thanks. 

DH arrived home and extended his appreciation as well and chatted for a few moments with a fellow peace officer.

This morning I've no ill effects from my 'bounce', although I wonder how much longer I can do that before I get hurt? My shoulders ache from scrapping and shoveling. We've more snow on the way tomorrow and DH will be plowing, so I get the chore. He said I should walk on the treadmill at the gym this morning and hit the spa tub afterward, skipping my usual workout. I agree. 

A one hour 'spa day' sounds mighty good.


Comments

  1. OH my goodness! That is WONDERFUL that officer stopped to help you. OH NO on slipping. That is my fear after DH fell last January ending in a shoulder replacement! OY. Be careful on the ice. We are struggling w/that, too.

    Yes, we are expecting more snow overnight into tomorrow. At least it’s supposed to be the light, fluffy stuff.

    Be careful out there!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful made for T.V. fantasy. Or at least one of my fantasies. LOL. Someone to help with a rotten task, though I don't deal with ice and snow. I ignore them. And your helper turned out to be a young police officer. Yum! Our deputies here are very cute. Thank yous are nice but you hear them so seldom here I would have wanted the cookies had I been scraping. (Or some chicken soup and bread). Some witty conversation. I'm shallow and needy. I can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOL I enjoy a fantasy all right, but so young? Hmmm.

      Delete
    2. As long as they are over 18 they're legal. LOL. Seriously, when you get as old as me everyone looks young. Of course an older ice/snow shoveler would be much preferable. But I will have to settle for cookies, bread, and chicken soup, if I can even get them, while I shovel anything here that has to be shoveled by myself. I have not had anyone cook anything for me since my mom died in 1996. Slim Pickens here.

      Delete
  3. Aren't young-er people wonderful? They grew into responsible adults while we weren't even looking, and now suddenly instead of being the helpers, we have become the helped! I'm grateful for every single one of them!

    Glad you could still bounce. Next Medicare wellness visit when they ask you about falls, you'll have to include this one, eh? I just had mine yesterday and was "not in the past year, anyway" on the falls question. Another thing to be grateful for!

    We're in the midst of snowfall now. It's supposed to end by this evening. I'll get it cleared off tomorrow, I'm thinking, before the deep freeze arrives for the weekend. Winter!

    Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, a heart-warming encounter in every sense of the word! Also v glad your “bounce” didn’t do you any significant harm… Ms Scarlett stepped on the margin of the tread of my ol’ barn shoe and indirectly knocked me down as I got off-balance trying to jerk my foot free last month - I bruised myself up on the concrete & hit my head on the door track (that stung the worst), but I did at least roll over & get up quickly. At least the aisle of the barn was dry & not swamped in mud as it’s been for this past week!
    (Val)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog