I'm in the beginning of vegetable overload already. 

My first Japanese eggplant has been harvested and I have a recipe or two I can use with the rest of my snow peas and perhaps shrimp or chicken. They call for lots of garlic and soy sauce. I have Tamari, a Japanese soy and sesame oil so it sounds like an oriental dish for my dinner!

Today I picked a zucchini and there are two more in the wings that will need harvested in a few days.

I've got all my jars ready to prepare pickles, now I need the right pickles to develop. Another 'Japanese' named vegetable, the slicing cucumber has turned out to be simply delicious! It's green-black and large. The skin is thin and not bitter. Even DH enjoyed it slathered in Italian dressing.

I gave away green beans and snow peas to my grands. They had helped harvest and ate more off the plants than they placed in containers. I love having these kids who love raw veggies off the vine or plant. Cherry tomatoes hold no hope of ending on a salad if the kids are over.

I decided to grow okra this year. I never have. Belatedly I looked up information on how it grows. I had a good laugh. The plants can get 6-10 feet tall unless they are pruned. At least the butternut squash is enjoying filling in the ground space under these plants.

One of the sunflower plants is now about 7 feet tall and has a stalk that reminds me of bamboo. I grew these from a purchase picked out by my grandson. I most likely will not do so again. Sure the flowers will be neat but look at all the nutrients used and what am I to do with all the veggie-matter once the growing season is done? I don't have a compost pile anymore and am not of a mind to start one. I think.

The deer fence is doing it's job. I will try to take a nighttime picture to show the ambiance created by this new garden Did I mention I told DH I want to add one more section to the garden? It means we will also have to add to the fence but that's not a big deal. I stuffed this one with everything I want so I'd like to have a bit more room next year.

Oh, boy!

Comments

  1. My daughter in law would love this! She grows herbs and veggies... and a few flowers too. I love seeing her posts of what they make for dinner fresh out of the garden, just as you are musing about the Japanese themed meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, Japanese eggplants are so delectable. Have a good supper!

    LOL! Yes, that is wonderful that the grands love their veggies! YUM. Healthy.

    Have fun in your garden!

    hugs
    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful garden!! So much productively in a small space! And you have caught gardenitis. LOL. We barely survived that. Our garden kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger. At one time we were growing every vegetable that we could grow here that we liked. Planting fruit trees and making fruit cages. Surrounding the garden with an electric fence. Planting perennials and bushes. Making cold frames and hot frames. Building more elaborate raised beds. Starting plants in the winter. Planting spring, summer, fall, gardens even up till the snow flew. Making tons of mulch. Yep, gardenitis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL Yep, and I'm the only one who eats most of the veggies1

      Delete
    2. That is not right. You should have at least one eager veggie eater to share with. I should sent you a picture of our last raised bed we made. It was way over the top and I was kind of embarrassed by it but hubby was tired of repairing them, rebuilding them, but mostly bending over. I call the last one "The Mausoleum".

      Delete
  4. Your garden sounds fantastic! I can’t believe you got all those things to grow in that space. What talent! Okra makes me think of a gumbo I made when DD was little. Butternut squash is in a favorite soup. Picking and eating from the garden will give the grands wonderful core memories. Enjoy those delicious meals!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog