Things are looking up.

DH is adjusting to his new hardware and the stent has done it's job. His BP is much lower and even though he's a bit hesitant to do things, he LOOKS better!

Well enough that I dragged him to a family reunion. I've never gone to this one; it's my mother's side in rural Maryland. My 3rd-great grandfather was a German stonecutter and arrived here in 1831. He helped build bridges on the C&O canal along the Potomac River on the Maryland/Virginia (West Virginia in 1863) borders. My 2nd-great grandfather was a lock tender on the canal.

I met a host of 3rd and 4th cousins and had a great time. We stayed in a cabin-trailer.


It had a living room/dining room combo, a bunk bed room added and a front and back porch. The kitchen, bathroom and bedroom were the trailer. I took the opportunity to stay in this and it cured my thought of getting a trailer. Not because of anything wrong, just it wasn't right enough. I found I preferred the bigger space of having an open living room. Even with a full bump-out with a couch and dining booth, the main room of the trailer was too closed in for me. The 'bathroom' was manageable, the shower/tub combo plenty big for me. I couldn't see us having so little storage space for all our stuff that goes on vacation with us now! Annnd, I don't want to maintain two households.
Cross the travel trailer off my list.

Here we are in the pavilion

The nametag reads: I belong to Janet. Yes he does!

We toured some of the area where my family was born and raised. There's nothing left of the town as the canal and the subsequent railroad went by the way of trucking!

Potomac River, on the left is West Virginia, on the right, Maryland.


Railroad bridge, still in use, and a small set of water tunnels.


Old locks, the canal is dried up in most places. So different from my own D&R canal which is still in use for recreation and it's a water source for many towns.


One of the lock tender's homes. Not the one my ancestors lived in, it's gone!



 


Comments

  1. Fascinating history in architecture. Don't you just love infrastructure? I know I do. Makes one marvel at the inventiveness of humans, and "how things get done". I've loved trips by rail, where I could see the "backside" of cities. I've loved seeing the docks and how large amounts of goods arrive and depart. Pretty amazing stuff.

    Glad you got this chance to bond with family history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that DH is doing so well! Yeah! How awesome you were able to attend the family reunion. Always fun. AND you learned a trailer wouldn’t do for you!

    Love the photos and history! Thanks for sharing.

    Enjoy the days of summer we have left!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  3. DH looks so good! Lol, belongs to you ❤️ pops a song into my head, can’t quite identify it 🎵🤔

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late catching up, but glad to hear DH is doing well. Gorgeous photos!
    (Val)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog